Compliance means conforming to a rule, such as a specification, policy, standard or law. In the building industry, compliance relates to the Essential Safety Measures requirements outlined in an Occupancy permit that are governed by Australian Standards and the National Construction Code of Australia regulations. Furthermore, an Occupancy permit will not be issued if (upon the completion of a building project) the compliance requirements have not been met. Failing to comply can result in prosecution but more importantly, non-compliance place not only the building occupants at risk but also those in the vicinity and the occupants of adjoining buildings.
It is the responsibility of building owners and building managers to ensure that they are aware of and take steps to comply with relevant laws and regulations.
To assist, Fire Marshall can:
- Arrange an on-site consultation
- Discuss your Essential Safety Measures requirements
- Set up a periodic maintenance schedule
- Quote on and undertake additional works required (if any)
- Suggest further recommendations to assist in fire prevention and improve occupancy health & safety
- Issue an annual Compliance Certificate
- Issue an Annual Essential Safety Measures Report